Meet @JJHoserHotd!!

Howdy fitted fans! ArizonaHiggins here giving an assist to Kyle in the interview editing department.  So this feature is about a fellow collector and designer @JJhoserhotd on Instagram. He was introduced to the twitter side of the Timeline Terrors by @Interstate19, and I'm sure glad he did.  I missed out on his most recent hat but I know I will not miss the next!  So if you're wanting to be featured here or have a suggestion of a person that you'd like to see featured here just let us know on our Instagram/Twitter accounts @TimelineTerrors.

TimelineTerrors: Sup boo!

JJHoserHotd: Nothing much man just enjoying my day off

TT: Alrighty.....let’s scoop caps! So, you have a tweeter handle?

JJ: Nah man. I ain't about that tweeter life. Just got IG: one for my hats and one for personal life.

TT: So what’s the paragraph length bio?

JJ: Im a 23 year old artist. Born and raised in Fountain, CO. Currently reside in Fort Collins, CO home of the best university in the world, Colorado State! Go Rams! I have a beautiful girlfriend that supports my hat addiction and a beautiful black lab boy named Danny, (who sometimes I force to wear my hats for photo ops)

*TT: Graphic design? Colorado State should exclusively wear the orange/green. Just saying. 

*JJ: All of it really. My degree is in Art Education so I'm a certified K-12 art teacher, but I really love graphic design. Hoping to move to ABQ to get a masters in it. And I'll have to kindly disagree. It's a nice throwback but green gold is our greatest color scheme. True fact, all CSU alumni have green and gold colored blood upon receiving their degrees.  Most fans actually hate our pumpkin uniforms as well as most uniform critics.



*TT: I dig the throwbacks. The angels are hiring a designer So are you a big Colorado Region sports fan?

JJ: I'd love to move to Anaheim. That's my future dream home area. Unfortunately my significant other has a year left of school before she and I can move.

TT: Hey what’s your name! 

JJ: Official name is Joel William Johnson. But most just call me the GOAT. Haha!

TT: Goat it is! I'm Kyle. 

JJ: Hopefully that will catch on in the that community haha. Nice to meet you Kyle

TT: So you’re a Colorado native? Nice. I like it there. Nice mix of west coast chill and Midwestern homey.  Does your hat collection center around your favorite teams?

JJ: A lot of West coast folks and east coasters think we are corn fed grown on the farm country boys out here. But we're really a mix of Patagonia wearing hipsters and wannabe rappers.  My collection really centers around CSU and baseball but I definitely have more Rockies, Broncos, Avs, and Nuggets hats than any other teams in the big 4.
And oh hell yeah. Massive Rockies fan (as well as Cubs with my dad's side being from Chicago). And my broncos being Superbowl 50 champs and all, what's not to love!?



TT: How many caps you got total?

JJ: As of today 414.

TT: Nice! All Fitteds?

JJ: Nah. I'm not a hat snob. I love fitteds, snapbacks, unstructured hats. I'm not picky about brand as long as it looks nice and fits well. The only hats I won't wear are low crown 59fifties, I have too weird a head for those.

TT: So out of 400+ caps...what’s a crude break down?

JJ: It's about 25% CSU hats, about 50% baseball. And the other 25% is football basketball and hockey. And I would say a good 50% of my baseball hats are Rockies and Cubs.



TT: I’m catching a Rockies game in May and I can’t wait. I went to Coors Field in the 1990s as a kid ( saw Tony Gwynn) and it was awesome

JJ: I have at least 25 Rockies hats if not more. And Coors is my happy place. I've been to tons of games there and everytime I still tear up. It's heaven really.



TT: Why doesn’t it face downtown skyline though?

JJ: Because you see the Rocky mountains. Because the teams named the Rockies. Plus the main entrances would sit next to I-25 if it faced the skyline haha. Idk how to feel about the new scoreboard though.

TT; Ok that probably makes sense. I love that the bleachers are nicknamed the rock pile.

JJ: Those are the best seats in the house my friend!

TT: Ok....the hard questions are about to start dropping. Drink water if you need it

JJ: Haha I'm ready

TT: How’d you get into collecting caps? What’s patient zero in terms of caps

JJ: I got into baseball when I was 3 and always loved the new hats I got each season because of colors and logos. When I was 10 I stumbled onto a little site called Sportslogos.Net and fell in love with the history or uniforms and logos. So then I started paying attention to everyone else's hats and trying to start my own collection. My first big deal hat was my purple on-field wool pre-2007 59fifty. It was the season after the Rockies stopped wearing it in spring training and upgraded it to an alternate onfield. But since it was the "spring training hat" the season before I got it for 10 bucks in 2007. It's now my dirty beat up lucky Rockies hat.

TT: Nice! I love sportslogos.net Chris kills it. You still got it? (The purple cap)

JJ: Hell yeah I still have it. It's the hat I wear every morning of opening day. Just to bring my boys luck.  And Chris is definitely a genius for starting the site. I wish he would update the pioneer league logos though. He still has Casper listed as a current team and hasn't posted Grand junction.

*TT: I wanna start a similar catalog for baseball caps. MiLB and MLB.  So do you have a top 5?  TOP 5 favorite caps! Go!

*JJ: I wore my purple Rockies hat all the way through the 2007 WS so that's why it's lucky. And I have a Google doc file where I catalog the hats logos and stadiums for all MiLB teams.

*TT: What! I wanna see that.

JJ: And my top 5 are my 2007 Rockies World Series Patch on field (purple alternate of course), 2016 World Series Champs gold ring celebration onfield Cubs hat, OG all teal Diamond Collection onfield Florida Marlins, Colorado Springs Sky Sox Socko Hometown Collection hat, and my Baron Davis Era Golden State Wa
rriors 59fifty.



TT: More tough questions....  Any grails? You got a Arc of the Cap you missed on?  Also....what are you thoughts on “we didn’t start the fire” by Billy Joel?

JJ: Easy. I have two. Growing up in Fountain we were only 15 mins from Sky Sox stadium, and in the early 2000s the Sky Sox, during the mesh 59fifty BP era, had an all white BP hat with our mascot "Sox the Fox" on it. I never had money to buy it in the shop and really want it. And my other one is the metallic silver billed Rockies Turn Ahead the Clock onfield.  And my name is literally Joel William (Billy) so naturally my reversed friend and I share a connection. And we didn't start the fire is great obviously.

TT: Okay. Passed that test. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Rockies TATC cap

JJ: Oh and actually, the sky Sox had a white and a green mesh BP hat with their old green interlocking CS logo. I'd love that one too.

*TT: But it’s been twenty years? Or something and some teams are redoing the event. Maybe they’ll drop the cap this season. Or hat club

***There it is. In all of its Glory.

*JJ: Hopefully the Rockies redo it so I can buy a hat and jersey

*TT: I have the mariners cap....dunno if i can stomach the jersey.  So are there any caps, or clubs you’re looking for? Any certain theme or direction you’re taking your collecting?

JJ: Trying to get caught up and finish my MLB collection. I need the Brewers Pirates and Giants to be completely done. I also am dying to get my hands on that new rays hat that dropped today. And growing my MiLB collection is important to me right now as well.

TT: The 20th anniversary cap? How are you collecting the milb?

JJ: Yeah with the devil ray on it. Pure beauty. I'm just finding deals and trying to get to a game if I'm ever in a town with an MiLB team. So really it's whatever I find on a good sale. My local lidsgets random MiLB hats in every now and then so I check for them there too.

TT: Oh nice. So I know you’re a designer. Better yet artist considering your qualifications. What led you to make some customs?

JJ: I've had tons of ideas for team logos in my head for years. Especially ones centered around my local area. So I finally took the leap and started producing full fledged logos and brandings that I would want to wear. And now here we are with my first custom order waiting to arrive in March.




TT: Yeah it looks good. What kind of time and work went into that? Give people an idea of how many person hours your first drop took

JJ: Had to hand draw the logo and then transfer it to illustrator to make a final decision logo. And then I had to make mock up hat designs so in total it probably took 3 1/2 hours to finalize it.

TT: I’m pretty jazzed to get one from the first run.You got any more coming?

JJ: I'm super excited for it as well. I haven't had very hopeful feedback from fellow collectors on my designs. When I hold instagram polls a lot of the collectors seem disinterested. But I really want to drop my Mastodons Custom, my hops custom, and special spring training inspired grapefruit and cactus league customs

TT: Um that mastodons custom Is legit. I’ll share em over on the blog. I don’t think a lot of cap guys on Twitter have Instagram.




JJ: Right!? It's my favorite so far. And honestly it's my best work. Besides maybe my Chargers rebrand designs. I went all out for that.

TT: I dunno if I saw those

JJ: I'll send you the PDF later. It's fire stuff. Here's a preview pic I have on me right now haha.





TT: Nice dude! That looks good. We’re trying to get a time line terror cap made

JJ: I went all out for that one. I broke it down into alternate logos, primary, and partials,. I even did a spreadsheet showing the possibilities on each team color background. And if you want me to make some custom stuff for that hat I'm always down.

TT: We need a throwback style “TT” type logo Maybe interlocking. Classic baseball style script

JJ: I could definitely work on that.

TT: Doooope. You’re officially in the club.

JJ: Haha nice! Do I get a gold members only jacket?

TT: Oh yeah. And a minimum of 100 notifications a day

JJ: Finally I'll feel like I have friends!

TT: You know it.



Comments

Popular Posts