Squatchee Awards & T.J.takes the stand!

Good evening or Good morning depending on where this blogs you! You guessed it: its time for another installment of Terror Talk. Terror Talk is the once weekly, or twice weekly or once monthly blog post featuring all the happenings in and around the cap world. The interviews are real, the questions tough and the content genuine! Today, 12/31/2017 is a special post. Today we announce the winners of our 1st Annual Squatchee Cap Collector Awards. They're 100% arbitrary, there was no voting and the winners certainly didn't get a prize from here.

Before we get to made up awards we have another weekly interview. This interview was great, and if I did a podcast about caps our interviewee would have been on the short list for first guest. He has an amazing collection featuring some serious caps, and he likes sneakers so he's a true champion in my eyes. He also has an impressive spreadsheet detailing his collection. You might have seen him on Instagram @low_tee_savage or under his cap peddling alias @the_cap_broker. He's T.J. E from Illinois (there no noise in Illinois, remember that kids). With 500+ plus caps and counting...lets get started. As usual we're TT: and to make it simple T.J. is TJ:




TJ: This is TJ

TT: Sup man? I was shoveling snow in the blasted driveway again.

TJ: Luckily its not snowing here.

TT: I think we're north of 5" now.

TJ: Eff that! hahaha

TT: Yeah, I'm getting a snow blower next season.

TJ: Definitely a worthwhile investment.

TT: I'm talking a diesel powered, four wheel drive, Binford 6100 Snow Launcher.

TJ: We haven't had enough snow to warrant a blower.

TT: Oh it really comes down here sometimes. Spokane is a tundra.

TJ: I can only imagine...

TT: So, lets talk about caps and this collection.

TJ: OK, shoot...

TT: I usually start with a bio. So, who is @low_tee_savage (that's his twitter and Instagram, check him out)

TJ: Low_Tee is a blunt being motivated by music. I listen to music all day, everyday. Everything from country to hip-hop.  If it sounds good I am a fan. I have always been a very straightforward person which lead to most of my friends calling me a savage. I was randomly (randomly?) listening to the artist Kiiara whose album happened to be titled "Low Kii Savage". While listening I thought to myself "savage" and that was that. Feel free to rearrange this. My brain works funny. Haha. That cool?

TT: Heck ya man.

TT: So are you from Illinois?

TJ: Yes sir! Born and bred in Chicagoland but heavily influenced by the south (Mississippi).

TT: Illinois sports fan?

TJ: I support all Chicago teams: Bears, Bulls, Sox, Cubs, Hawks and Wolves. And yes, there are people out there that root for the Sox and the Cubs.


TT: Hey I don't mind. Fandom is fluid and awesome. Just don't become a Yankees fan :)

TJ: As far as collegiate sports go I root for my alma matter Eastern Illinois University (Home of Jimmy G and Tony Romo). Other than that I'm a huge North Carolina basketball fan and Buckeye football fan.

TT: Leathernecks?

TJ: No!!!!! That's Western Illinois. Panthers! Hahahaha

TT: Hmmm. I have to be honest, as an FSU fan, watching Urban take an L is high on my satisfaction list. He's impressive as a coach and recruiter though.

TJ: Urban is my favorite coach of all time regardless of sport. I was a U of Florida fan when he was there. I've been a Buckeye fan since '02 tho.

TT: Allowed. Do you think Ohio State should have been in?

TJ: I do. Being left out because of that horrible loss to Iowa is understandable.

TT: Moving on. How did you get into fitteds?

TJ: I had hats growing up but never took them seriously. I stopped wearing hats for 7 to 8 years actually. One day I was searching eBay for shoes and I ran across a New Era lot of about 20 hats. I decided to buy them because I love sports and the logos looked cool. Soon after that I created an Instagram account. I was then exposed to MiLB logos, no sports related hats and customs. The rest is history. Research led understanding the differences between hats which in turn led to searching for specific caps versus buying anything and everything.

TJ: The cap community on Instagram fueled the passion I have for fitteds and hats in general.



TT: Any snaps or are you strictly fitteds?

TJ: Oh yeah I have a few snaps. If it looks good I need it. Haha

TT: What's your favorite cap?

TJ: Favorite hat? Oh that's too hard.

TT: Top 4 then?

TJ: That's a little bit easier...

TJ: Portland Rockies (Black/purple colorway), White Sox (White w/camo bill), New York Yankees (VT colors) and Kinston Indians cap. (He sent a pic)

TT: Is that a Portland Rockies?!

TJ: Hell yes.

TT: That's on my list of must haves.

TT: What about grails?

TT: Have any caps eluded you over the years?

TJ: Give me a sec to think about that one.

TT: While you're thinking what do you think about Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire"?

TJ: I'm not a Billy Joel fan but that song is a classic.

TT: Ok we're cool and can continue.

TT: Everyone gets the fire test.

TJ: Hahaha

TT: I was fortunate enough to get more than half my grails this year but here are a few: Pirates '99 BP cap, Salem Buccaneers, Dionic Brand Mythes (camo crown) and New York Yankee navy VT colors.

TT: So how many caps do you think you have?

TJ: The last time I counted 525.

TT: Dang. There we go! I think a lot of people have seen your set up too. Where did you get that idea.


TJ: From an Instagram post and I wondered how hats would look in those.

TT: Effing great is the answer.

TT: Oh, nice. So with 525 caps do you have a break down by league? How do you store them? 

TJ:  Dionic Brand, customs by color, White Sox by color, Cubs by color, Bears by color, Blackhawks by color, NBA by color, MLB by color, NCAA by color, Hat Club customs by color and New Era brand by color. 

TT: Do they match the sneakers?

TJ: Of course. 

TT: So how did you get into the reselling business?

TJ: I dabbled in reselling caps. I don't really sell now. The things I sell now are things I won't wear or don't wear any more. I sell now to keep new caps coming in.

TT: Nice. I was curious where you came across all these hard to find lids. (Earlier this year I purchased an original New Era Salinas Spurs cap from T.J.)

TJ: I hit a honey hole of vintage New Era lids this year.

TT: Garage sale?

TJ: No, someone purchased about 200-300 hats at an estate sale and I was lucky enough to have contacted him when he started moving the hats.

TT: I'm going to the wrong estate sales.

TJ: Right. Hahaha.

TT: I ask everyone this, but do you have a direction you want your collection to go?

TJ: My focus right now is all about MiLB hats. I am loving MiLB logos right now.

TT: I agree. There are so many awesome and unique logos. 

TJ: Hat Club is killing it right now. I'm also looking at the Gwinnett Stripers cap right now.

TT: Stickers on or off...

TJ: Off! Ball players don't play with stickers on. That's my reasoning. 

TT: This man speaks the truth. 



Now, moving on to the awards section of this week's post! Before that I want to thank T.J. for putting up with my snow shoveling and erratic texts to get that interview. He's a cool dude with a great collection. Make sure you find him on Twitter and Instagram. 

First Annual 2018 Squatchee Awards! 

These awards are given, not earned. There is no prize, only the bragging rights and using the #SquatcheeWinner2018 hashtag for an ENTIRE calendar year. You need to put on your best rented tuxedo, pour a crisp bottle of $9 champagne and relax: its awards time!

Best use of a made up word: @Interstate19 takes home the trophy with "Bandwagonatious". This word technically was used in 2018, but these awards are made up so it doesn't matter. 
Best Beard@ArizonaHiggins. He was the first interviewee with a beard, and so far the only one! 
Worst Beard@ArizonaHiggins. Buy a razor and a comb already. We get it...you have a beard.
Worst Post Composition@muzixndmd takes this award home. If there was anyone who didn't need the expanded character limit it was this guy. All those late nights watching Austrailian Baseball and early mornings jogging in a soggy Jets cap have us longing for a space bar and punctuation. 
Saltiest Posts@KyleWhy2....go ahead. Ask him about the newly released Pro Light caps from New Era or what colors Seattle sports teams actually wear. 
Block Button MVP@green_gecko11 just wants you to keep your boobs off her Twitter feed ok? 
Rapid Fire Google Award@GMaclagan can find you a picture of @sharkbrodie or a maple syrup GIF faster than an a Canadian can apologize. 
Best Twitter Handle@rumlightning wins this with "Archibald "Moonlight" B. Fass. This might even be his real name...
Best Customer Service Rep: Luis "The Goat" from Hat Club This guy makes it happen and takes everyone's money with a great attitude and I can only assume a smile. Someone let him know he won a fake award. 
Best Hand Model@BRKCP_ takes this home. He brings the fire with his well manicured nails, moisturized hands and expertly composed hand model tweets. I think he might even have a cap collection.
Best Baseball Rep@amarie029 takes the cake. Tweeting about winter meetings and then dropping sweet throwbacks will get you this award every single time. 










Comments

Popular Posts